Monday, March 30, 2009

Money or Dream?


Two days ago, I was chatting with a friend when he mentioned that most of the time, you have to give up your dream to earn money for a living. I kinda gave some thoughts to that issue for these few days. Somehow, it seems so true. Maybe it's true for many of you out there. .. It could be true for me as well.

I grew up believing that my dreams are never too far out of my reach. Honestly, they aren't so great. I want to become a teacher. An English Lit teacher. And I wana teach in African villages. Do something for the refugees, the children etc etc there. I wana have a farmhouse of my own, have a happy family living together with me there and doing God's will. Nothing too complicated for me. No gigantic mansions, private islands and jets, million of diamonds and those glorious things.

Now I'm starting to wonder. Maybe for someone like me who doesn't need to support anyone but herself, it's ok. But for someone who will need to support and feed a family, it might not be ok. If it is so, then life is truly unfair. How can I pursue my passion in literature when someone who has the same passion needs to sacrifice that dream to become a boring banker? Life is really full of oddities.

Think of it from this point of view. When you're 60, will u regret more if u have not shown your children the real values of life or if u have not gained enough money to send them to the best universities in the world? when you're 70, will u regret more if all your loved ones have left u to make more money or if you cannot save enough to buy a tiffany diamond ring for your wife?

=yingoying=

2 comments:

tbone said...

I think that most people DO give up their dreams to earn money... but if you look at the most successfull people out there they are the ones that chased their dreams, even when it looked like they couldn't make it...

Ying Ying said...

so which path will u travel, trev? :)